Saturday, August 16, 2008

One Down, 35 To Go!

Well, I made it through my first week back to work. I work at Kerr Elementary School in Mesa. This is my second year there. I actually started there 14 1/2 years ago. At that time, I worked on the playground and monitered the restrooms. After 4 years there (the last one in a classroom), I went to Kino Jr. High School. I worked in reading and math classes. I was there for 7 years. Then I went to Lehi Elementary and spent 2 years there in a 6th grade classroom. Then, last year, I went back to Kerr. This time I am a "DIBLE" lady. I do testing 3 times a year and based on the results of that testing, I work with small groups. I really enjoy what I am doing. I fee like I am making a difference with a lot of the students that I work with. Generally, I work with K-2 grades. We do the testing with the 3rd graders, but they don't get our help as much.

This past week has been pretty stressful physically for me. I spent most of the week helping out in a kindergarten class with 38 students, 1 teacher, and 1 aide. That was too many kids and not enough adults! So, I and a couple of the ladies I work with, helped take kids back and forth from on place to another all week. Then yesterday, we helped set up a new kindergarten classroom. They have arranged a sub. for a couple of weeks until they can get a fulltime teacher hired. Needless to say, the kindergarten teacher and her aide were very happy yesterday.

Next week, we will start the testing. That will take place for two weeks. After that, we will have our small groups set up and will start working with them. This year, we have our own room to work in so we won't have to keep the kids in their classrooms and try to work there. We are all excited!

We have been watching the Olympics this week, just like almost everyone else! I just wish it wasn't on soooo late every night! I've enjoyed what I've seen for the most part, just wish we were winning more gold!

I'm starting to feel a little "cabin fever". We haven't gone anywhere this summer and I feel like I need to get away. Of course, that won't happen. We still don't have a car that will get us anywhere. Oh, well, that's been the story of our life for like 36 1/2 years!

I got my dad a cell phone a week ago. It is so nice to be able to call and get him now. I programed the phone numbers of his children and assigned speed dial #'s to them and gave him a card with that info on it. So far, so good.

Well, I guess I've bent your ears (or eyes) long enough for now. Until later...


4 comments:

Leslie said...

We need to plan a camping trip this fall!! We need to just set a date, and if your car wont make it up there, between the three of your kids and maybe a trailer we will get you guys up there...Plus carbpooling will help with gas too.

Jeremy said...

Well I am glad you are involved with the schools mom. I know you will be blessed for your involvement even though the pay is not that great.

Sarah said...

Wow! I'm impressed! You said so much! And I loved reading every word of it. I am very glad that you enjoy doing what you do. I wish it wasn't quite as physically exhausting for you, but I guess that's what happens when you're....OLD! And, I agree with Leslie...carpooling is definitely possible. I know that our car needs a couple things done it though before we take it out of dodge. But it should be simple enough. I really want to go to Show Low at the end of August, but not sure that it's going to happen. Considering our finances at the moment. We will see though.

Jill said...

Mom, I love the background on your blog. And I agree with Leslie - we need to go camping all together. I know we can all get up there. We will take our truck and you can take our van. Chris wants to go soon - early or mid September...let's figure out a way.