Friday, November 14, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOM


Today is a first. It is my mother's birthday. The first one since she passed away. She would have been 81 years old. It has been almost 5 months. While most of the time, it feels like the time has flown, there are some days that all I do is think of her and miss her.


I wish that I had a talent for words so that I could make things sound good. But, alas, that is not one of my few talents. Unfortunately, the computer with my pictures of my mom has crashed, so I can't put pictures in this post. I was able to get this one from her obituary.

She was a wonderful person and a great mother. She had many challenges in her life, but managed to work through them. She had polio as a child but was able to overcome most of the effects of that. Although, later in life, she had what they call "post polio syndrome". This brought her a lot of pain. I think, looking back, that she tried to cover up most of the pain she felt. Because of the polio, she had some difficulty walking. But, she didn't let that get in her way.

While she was not "educated" (she dropped out of high school) she was a very smart woman. She ran a couple of businesses with/for my dad. Here she picked up more smarts.

She always told us that she didn't have any talent. She proved herself wrong. Once we were all gone from home, she developed some fine talents. She could paint very well. She loved crafts. She could sing, although that is her talent that she "always" had.

I think the best talent she had was teaching the gospel by her example. She let us know as we were growing up that she loved her Savior and Heavenly Father. She showed us this by the way she put 150% into any calling she ever had in the church. She loved the gospel.

She loved Dad and made him happy (most of the time). She loved having her family around her. She loved to laugh. She loved to sing. She loved life. She loved being a mother and grandmother.

I am so grateful to have had such a loving mother. She taught me the most important things in life. I didn't realize until after I was married and had children, just how much she taught me. There were many times I would call her and thank her for the things she did.

I am very grateful for the knowledge that I have of the "plan of salvation". For the knowledge that I will be able to see her and be with her again. I don't know how I could have made it through these last months without that knowledge.

So, for now, I will say, Happy Birthday, Mom. I hope you have and great day. I love and miss you so much! Til later...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Awww, now I'm crying! That was a great tribute, Mom!

Happy Birthday, Grandma!